Thursday, July 27, 2006

Rishworth Memories: Roy Wong

Tom Lawrenson, Ben Lloyd, Roy Wong and I

When I was at boarding school, I was fortunate enough to become very good friends with an international student from Hong Kong called Roy Wong. Life in a boarding community is completely different to regular school, and the bonds you form with the people you live with are unique. Roy and I studied mathematics and further mathematics together, so we spent a considerable amount of time together in and out of school.

Roy and I in our captaincy year photoRoy and I haven't seen each other in three years; yet speaking to him this evening on MSN, it was just like old times. It brought back so many happy memories of an amazing two years. The photo above is probably the one I cherish most from my time at Rishworth. It was taken in my room in lower sixth just before an evening basketball game. Tom Lawrenson, Ben Lloyd (now of Sale Sharks), Roy and I played regularly, and it provided much needed relief from the serious world of rugby!
The following year, Roy became captain and I became vice captain. Roy has just graduated from Manchester University with an amazing 2:2. His persistence with education in a very foreign country is both humbling and inspiring. Many nights I would go to ask his help with a maths problem and he'd be working incredibly hard on his English which progressed insanely fast, having already completed his maths work.

I love this picture because it sums up every graduation ceremony; the graduate attempting to appear nonchalant and uninterested while proud mum straightens the hood :)

Roy is applying for jobs in both England and Hong Kong at the moment, and I very much hope that he'll be able to visit me next year in San Francisco. I look forward to reminiscing about the glory years :)

Posted by Picasa

No comments: