Saturday, July 29, 2006

Big day

Yesterday was...interesting. Work was really good, the web site overhaul I've been working on got the thumbs up from the big boss man, and I'm really happy with it which never happens with web dev stuff I do. Here is a long awaited photo from the office:

Merton House, 9th Floor

I've not mentioned the gym before, but when I got back from Durham I joined, intent on getting 'beach ready'. I got two programs, upper body/abs and lower body/CV/abs. I've gone religiously over the past 5 weeks, and have seen a big improvement in my overall fitness and strength. Recently though it's become obvious that beach readiness takes a little more than 6 weeks and now fatigue and the heat are making my performance fluctuate. It is so frustrating to take a backwards step with the number of reps, or weight I’m working with, so yesterday I packed it in after 45mins and went to sulk in McDonalds with a cheeseburger. I’ll go again on Tuesday hopefully feeling more positive about what I know is a hugely beneficial activity.

I finally got to speak to someone at SFSU about my graduate course, cleared up a lot of misunderstandings and felt thoroughly reassured about the whole event. I phoned Madeline, who was deep into an intense 4 interview day in SF, and shared with her my findings like a proud hunter showing off the days kill. It was then that Madeline put a dampener on my mood by pointing out that there were only two semesters.

An hour of panic ensued as I attempted to confirm how long I would be studying for. It turns out; “on average the course takes 2 years”. My heart sunk. Everything we’d planned had been flipped upside down. I then had to wait for Madeline to finish another interview before breaking the news to her.

She was awesome, as were my parents. There isn’t much we can do, and although it’s a shock, it’s not the end of the world.

I’ve got to go catch my train to Sheffield now, so expect a report of that soon, and perhaps more on my now 2-year-graduate-program! :)

No comments: