Monday, August 14, 2006

San Francisco

I'm writing this on a brand new computer in very new surroundings! On Saturday Madeline and I set off from Encinitas to begin our new lives here in San Francisco. 460 miles later, we arrived and began unpacking. I set about dust busting while Madeline divided up the wardrobe space. Late night pizza from Extreme Pizza which was showing the Chargers game we could have gone to see if we'd stayed an extra day!

Sunday, we found a shopping mall complete with Safeway, (groceries, $$$!) Home Depot, (propane cylinder) and Bank of America. In the afternoon, we went for a surprise brunch for Emilie's 27th birthday. The restaurant had all you can drink mimosas for $6 which set the tone for what turned into a bit of an all day session in the Castro and pier 23.

Today I attempted to dust Madeline’s prehistoric computer, salvaged from her sister’s apartment the day before. Frustrated by Win 2000 and the associated lack of good spec, I managed to convince Madeline that a new computer was a worthy investment. Circuit City had a couple good basic spec computers and on the brink of starvation, we gave in and bought this little beauty. Less than $400 for a pretty well equipped machine.

All this happened post-school-visit. We walked from our apartment in the rough direction of SF State and managed to find it! Madeline had warned me that it wasn’t a very nice campus so we were both pleasantly surprised to find it very well maintained, green and bathed in morning sunlight. We went to the CS department, careers center, gymnasium, student support centre, OIP etc. and I registered for classes. Big success and exciting to see my new home at last! One interesting thing though is that all my lectures are in the evening. This is so that people can study for a masters part time while they remain in work but it’s not to bad as I only have 3 classes I think. It’ll all be a lot clearer when I’ve spoken to my advisor.

In closing, Madeline and I took another leap into commitment by getting a joint bank account. Finally I’ll be able to get hold of some money! Now I’ve managed to get the computer rolling, I’ll be able to start throwing pictures up to decorate these rather bland blogs. Watch this space…

No comments: