Sunday, August 06, 2006

Camp White


David and I

This weekend was Camp White. Madeline's family on her mom's side are the Whites, and each year they meet up for a weekend camping on the beach. It's a pretty nice idea, a chance to catch up, do family stuff and have fun in a beautiful setting with great food, ample drink and muchos sun.

This year was my debut although I was well briefed on what to expect and who to impress. Friday was pretty relaxed as we set up camp and kicked back for our first night under canvas. I met Roger, Kathleen's uncle, his daughter, and his grandson David. As the evening moved on, more people arrived, and we tucked into some homemade hamburgers. We went to the beach to cool of a little and I tried to reignite the body boarding flame. The surf got pretty big so Madeline and I spent a little while making sure David wasn’t being killed.


Madeline and cousin Hillary

Saturday started early as my jet lag continued. Greg, Miles, Jake and I drove out to Old Man to try and catch some early morning surf. There was a contest on so we didn’t get near the beach and instead made our way up the coast a little to Trestles where we watched some people tearing it up.

Lunch was followed by another, full family trip to the beach, more body boarding, a little body surfing and some sunbathing. Red faced and weighed down by wet clothes due to a rogue wave, we made our way back to camp for the evening meal. BBQ ribs and beers were awesome.

This morning, I woke early after a restless night in the tent. I convinced Madeline to join me for a walk along the beach which was lovely in the cool air. A relaxing extended breakfast and some goodbyes interspersed with a little football brought a close to event, and now we’re unpacking, showering and getting ready for a grandparents visit. Maybe even some more driving!


Renee, Madeline and I sporting Camp White t-shirts from yester-year

No comments: