Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Midterms, Caffine and "Rugby"

It's been a while, so I'll quickly recap on some of the goings on in our “exciting” lives!

Two weekends ago, (3rd-5th Nov) I was deep into midterm stress, and Madeline was preparing for the GRE. The GRE is the exam I took earlier in the year, in London as part of my application process, and with Madeline applying to Berkeley and SFSU, she has to take it as well. We spent almost the whole weekend on a Starbucks 'bar' crawl, studying, drinking coffee/chai tea and soaking up the Star-B's lifestyle. It turned out to be an awesome weekend, both productive and relaxing. We love sitting at a table in the window, and watching the busy city rush by, particularly in the early evening. It’s one of the real highlights of city living, which never fails to fill me with delight. It’s like we’re in Central Perk, but in San Francisco...and without the big park...or Gunther...

The following Tuesday I had to give a presentation on Computational Complexity, Madeline did the GRE on Wednesday and I had my big Biology midterm on Thursday. Solid week.

We started last weekend with a fairly hardcore drinking session on Friday night. Madeline and I headed out to play pool, try some different bars and just unwind after what had been a busy week for us both. We made friends with an English bar manager at our local, found a band playing in a bar/launderette, and kicked some ass in doubles pool with a random couple.
Saturday morning was one of the lowest points in my life. I think it must have been a bad pint, because I felt as close to death as I ever have. Sleep saved me from some of the pain, but when we finally woke up, I found I was an hour late for the trial match I was meant to be playing in for Berkeley on Treasure Island. A quick bagel and milk breakfast saw me arrive 'ready' to play in the third half. Apparently I scored Berkeley's 100th ever try, but other than that I left despondent with Rugby, deciding to hang up my boots for a little while - they played me on the wing which was the final straw. It's a completely different game to what I enjoy, and what I'm used to. It's slow, physical and unintelligent rugby. Pretty much all the backs moves aim directly towards the break down which we've just come from, to speed up the awkward period in between rucking, (badly) or malling, before ultimately rucking. The American guys who are new(ish) to the game are all like Army Alex in the freshers trial match. Loud, aggressive and mildly inappropriate. Their American Football background is reflected in their inability to remain calm when contact training is mentioned in training, and the whole squad is taking it more seriously than an NFL team in the build up to a Super Bowl. This is pre-season, (it starts in January/February sometime) and on Monday they met for a video analysis of the pitiful display of rugby we'd tragically been a part of on Saturday. As a coach, I'd be trying to forget it ever happened, not freeze framing every slow phase and terrible running line/support/lack of it.
A final note on rugby before I bring this rant to a close and feel a little better, is that there seems to be a bit of a discipline problem. Not a Charles getting sent off in the Flood-lit cup kind of problem, more a, "I really can't cope with all this physicality without getting a little bit hurt and lashing out" problem. The controlled discipline of rugby and how to cause pain without being sent off are foreign concepts here.
There are some great guys, some very talented individuals, and some great intentions, but I'm not enjoying it enough to make it a worthwhile commitment. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not GCRFC, and that will forever lead to disappointment with rugby in the future.

This week is the final week before a well-earned thanksgiving break. We're both exhausted and eager to relax with Madeline's family for a few days. We fly down on Wednesday, take a day in the family cabin up in Big Bear, and fly back up over the weekend sometime. Lovely!

No comments: