Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Greg comes to visit and Madeline's 23rd

Greg, (Madeline's dad) flew in on Wednesday afternoon and met up with Madeline in El Cerrito to check out her school. After a brief detour to pick up her birthday present, (DVD player) they headed back to the city and we finally got chance to show someone round our new place! He was really impressed, complementing us on our excellent eye for style and quality :)

We went to play pool at the local gay/biker/Irish bar, where Madeline and I had drinks bought for us by a random gay couple a few nights previously. Emilie arrived shortly after us, and a pool contest ensued. After Greg and I had established ourselves as the losers, we wandered up to a new Thai restaurant called Basil, (conflicts over its pronunciation are frequent). Post-dinner we went back to our apartment for ice-cream, and a good night’s sleep.

Madeline went to work at first light leaving Greg and I to pick up breakfast near inner-sunset. I left him at 9:30ish where he was due to be picked up by Denny, Fred and Jed, and went to work. He's up north until Wednesday, putting in the foundations for Denny's new 'Barn' on his property.




This month always makes me smile because there is a full 2 year age gap between Madeline and I. Saturday started with a home cooked muffin breakfast, and was quickly followed by an escape to a project meeting. I left Madeline at the mall but we met up around midday to continue shopping. Big success in Gap as usual, then home to order blown up photos for the frames we got earlier in the month. At 6pm we wandered down to 2nd and Folsom for our first sample of Indian food in the city, (Mehfil Indian). Really, really good but very different from English Indian cuisine.

Another short walk through the city, which looked beautiful by night, led us to the Actors Theatre, where I had tickets held for the second night of Death of a Salesman. Madeline had tried to get me to read it after she studied it in England, but I had failed. I knew it was going to be a little glum, but I didn't account for such a powerful performance which quite frankly brought the night to a close! Sunday was work day for me. I had to write some algorithms in Small Talk which was surprisingly rewarding. We picked up some cushions for the couch, and finally watched the end of the Virgin Suicides, (a little disappointing, given my love of the book and soundtrack). We really must watch something a little more cheerful! This week should be busy as always, and this weekend, Kelly is having a house party (Fri), and Madeline is doing her big joint birthday day/night out with Ria (Sat). Sunday looks like another busy catch-up-on-work day.

2 comments:

Dave and Mandy's Travels said...

Hey there Ben and Madeline!
How goes it? Having an awesome time? Glad you are enjoying the new apartment. Sounds like you got some real bargains at the garage sales. (note many 'Americanisms' for mum's sake!)
When are you going to have pictures to post? I want to see the green rocker!
Things are great here. Dave and I have just finished our first weekend of SCUBA (it was jolly chilly and I'm not heavy enough to compensate for the weight of my SCUBA tank in the water) but it was great fun!
This weekend we get to dive in a manky quarry with an aeroplane, bus, jet fighter, barge, coach, luxury yacht, many cars and some pike. I'm hoping that they've all been placed there rather than come to a sticky end!
We really must speak to each other sometime soon.
Love to you both
M
xxxx

John Dalziel (aclJohn) said...

You are sounding very American!! The Game sounded good and the facilities very similar to Durham!! I am glad that Madeline is looking after your cultural interests where I failed, although you did get an A in Eng Lit!!
Speak to you both soon, look after Madeline now that she is so old!! I thought I had already posted this comment but perhaps I hadn't logged in - such is technology.

xx