Wednesday, September 20, 2006

An emotional day

So I finally got hold of the SPCA. They were concerned that the kittens had been alone for so long, and were so young. They asked me to take them in, but made very clear that it was quite likely that they would be euthanized. I had class all evening so I had to cancel a job interview, collect the little guys into a cardboard box and drive them down to San Mateo. The whole drive was accompanied by little cries of distress from the passengers, and futile attempts to control the temperature in the car by me.

An emotional encounter
The gray one was the best!

The people at the SPCA were very nice, but they don’t have the resources to take in un-weaned kittens. I think it’s the same back home. We agreed that it was better they were put to sleep humanely rather than starving or freezing to death.

I did have the option to wean them myself at home, for which they would have provided the equipment, but we can’t have pets in the apartment due to the contract and Madeline’s allergies.

So I left them in capable hands, and endured the lonely drive home. I made it back to school only 30 minutes after my interview so went in and did surprisingly well. I think the kitten story was a good ice breaker.

Classes all evening, from 4-10pm went smoothly. Today I’m going to learn about the internal details of cells, and do a little programming.

This evening Madeline’s friend David is flying in to spend a few days with us, and this Friday (?), Pearly will arrive in SF for the Californian leg of his American tour with friends.

To add to the emotion of the past few days, I think my beloved flip flops are coming to an end...

End of an Era
In memoriam

1 comment:

John Dalziel (aclJohn) said...

What a sad little tale. Never mind, you did the right thing. xx